Cherries Shelf-life Extension sold at ambient at the Guangzhou market in China after being sea freighted from Chile in MAP
- Loose cherries in 2.5kg boxes with a MAP bag
- It’s Fresh! Large Transit ethylene filter (added at source, 1 per box after harvest)
Produce tested: sweet cherries, variety Bing, source Chile
Company: Meyer, assessments made by Frutisima
Test date: January 2016
Testing Method: The fruit was harvested in Chile, pre-cooled and packed in boxes of 2.5kg with an MAP liner.
The fruit was sea freighted to China for 25 days at 0°C to 5°C. In Guangzhou, the fruit was held 1 day in drayage before being sold in ambient market for 4 days (MAP bags teared apart). Assessments (count of fruit per quality defect + weight measurements of total bad berries) were made on arrival and during each day in the market. 6 boxes per treatment per test day were fully assessed (this is 15kg of cherries per treatment per test day).
- It’s Fresh! delivered more cherries sold at a premium price during the 4 days at ambient
- After 2 days in ambient, there was a 68.5% reduction in waste obtained with It’s Fresh!
- A quality extension of 2 days was obtained with the technology It’s Fresh!.
- No bad aroma or off taste were recorded during the trial duration.
Figure 1 – Visual quality of cherries treated with It’s Fresh! compared to no ethylene treatment. Note that even being 6 days older, the fruit treated with It’s Fresh! looks brighter and lighter red colour.